HSBC ROOKIE RUGBY pres. by Honda
About Rookie Rugby
Rookie Rugby is the nation-wide introductory rugby program for ages 6 to 14 that provides both teachers and coaches with a safe, fun, and inclusive non-contact curriculum to introduce children to rugby.
Rookie Rugby is a game-based curriculum built on national guidelines for Health and Physical Education curriculums.
The program provides open-access, easy-to-follow game modules for leading a variety of activities that build introductory, non-contact rugby skills and provide teachers – including those that are unfamiliar with rugby – with new methods to promote physical literacy and practice Fundamental Movement Skills (FMS).
rookie rugby resources
The Rookie Rugby program provides clubs, schools, and community groups with all of the resources they need to develop a Rookie Rugby program:
- A complete Rookie Rugby Games Curriculum, accessible online and provided in each kit. Each comprehensive printable Rookie Rugby game card includes the objective of the game, set-up information, LTAD stages, FMS, a step-by-step breakdown on how to play the game, as well as game progressions and coaching tips.
- A How-To Guidebook, which includes an overview of the games, a breakdown of rules, and coaching tips for teachers, parents, and volunteers to help participants be successful on the field.
- Rookie Rugby promotional material, including a promotional video, program flyers, and a presentation template which are easy to edit for your group’s use.
- Free Rookie Rugby instructor training by Sask Rugby RR Educators. Our Rookie Rugby Educators (seasoned rugby coaches) will demonstrate how to coach several Rookie Rugby games, provide a breakdown of fundamental rugby skills and simplified methods on how to coach them, and discuss possible adaptations to each game to allow different groups to participate inclusively.
- A complete Rookie Rugby kit, which includes all the equipment needed to teach Rookie Rugby to a class of 30 students, including rugby balls, flag belts, cones, and a kit bag, is available for purchase on www.RookieRugby.ca for any schools needing equipment.
For groups interested in delivering the Rookie Rugby program into their school or organisation, email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
MEET YOUR ROOKIE RUGBY LEADERS
Katelyn has been playing rugby for 4 years and is currently playing for the Rogues Women in Regina. Katelyn will be moving out to Nova Scotia to attend St Francis Xavier this fall.
Elle has been playing rugby for 9 years and is currently training with the Saskatoon teams. Elle will be moving to B.C to attend Cowichan Bay Secondary School this fall.
Madisyn has been playing rugby for 3 years and is currently playing for the Lady Condors in Regina. Madisyn will be staying in Regina to attend the U of R this fall.
Geovonie has been playing rugby for 5 years and is currently playing with the Highlanders in Regina. Geovonie will be staying in Regina to attend the U of R this fall.
Rookie Rugby In the Community
Looking for Rookie Rugby activities in your community that your child can participate in? Check out the calendar below for dates and locations for activities that we have already scheduled. This calendar will be updated on an ongoing basis, so please check back regularly. You can subscribe to this calendar by clicking the “plus” symbol in the bottom right corner of the calendar.
Please be aware that some activities on this calendar may require registration through a school, municipality, or community organization. Please contact one of our Rookie Rugby Leaders if you are unsure about whether a specific date requires registration.